Tuesday 6 May 2014

Cosy Hug Hottie

This weekend was a great holiday weekend for me, as I managed to finish a project that has been sitting in a bag for far too long, a huggable hot water bottle cover in Rowan wool.

I wasn't able to sew over the weekend as I had to have my legs up, so got out my knitting and worked away.

The design I was making was the Hug Hottie pattern from Rowan, which is available for free from here.  I chose this pattern initially as it seemed fairly easy and I thought it would be quick.  The pattern definitely is easy, you only really need to know how to knit, purl and do an increase and decrease.  The downside is that for the most part, you are doing garter stitch which I found pretty dull, and I had no impulse to pick this up and finish it.

When I looked at what I had done before, I wasn't happy with the quality, so ripped it all out and started again, so this definitely is a weekend project.

You knit it in three parts, the back, upper front and upper back.  The recommended wool is Rowan Baby Alpaca, but I used Rowan Baby Merino Silk as I wanted a nice colour.  As these are both DK wool, they were interchangable, although I did have to go up a size of needles and used 5mm and 5.5mm.  I finished it with three cream buttons to add contrast, and decided against the ribbon, as the person I am giving this to has a puppy who might enjoy pulling at ribbon.

What do you think, would you like this as a gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment